02 March 2010

The Power of Anastasia

Some random thoughts from the past few days...

As I'm beginning this post, the song "Journey to the Past" from 20th Century Fox's movie "Anastasia" is playing on my computer and I'm having one of those moments when the song from an animated movie suddenly seems impossibly pithy and apropos. The song is about a girl starting on her journey to find her family, her past, and, ultimately, her future. While I already know my family and my past, this "journey" of living in France is, surprisingly, helping me become more connected to both of them than I was before I left home.

Working to find ways to stay in touch with friends and family, dealing with the fact that I can't send a silly text to a friend when I trip or say something embarrassing so they can laugh with me, sharing my life at home with new friends in France and my life in France with old friends at home yet knowing neither group will ever fully understand the experience I describe...it's a fascinating experience.
................................................................................

Over the past few weeks I have received six packages, six cards, and countless emails, Facebook posts, and Facebook/Google/Skype chats that prove to me how very much I am loved. Each package, card, or internet conversation made me laugh, often times awkwardly aloud while alone in my room. Each explanation of the gifts sent made the gift even more precious than they were when I first opened them. Each bite of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, each tiny explosion of flavor provided by American Skittles has been better than ever before due to the love that caused people to spend outrageous amounts of money on postage to get them here. It's been a great birthday.
................................................................................

I'm nearly 20% through my time in France, and I only started classes today. Has my French improved in my month without studies? Maybe. Have I made any astonishing discoveries or "found myself" during all this extra time I've had on my hands? Not really. Am I looking forward to the remaining 80%? Definitely. But, even more, I'm looking forward to the 101%, the day when I come home. However, if someone gave me a plane ticket to go home tomorrow, I wouldn't take it.
................................................................................

Cheese is truly delicious. Cheese, bread, and apples. As much as I loved all three foods before I got to France, I think it's safe to say these are now my three favorite foods. Put them together and it's my favorite breakfast or lunch. Wine, while enjoyable, is better suited to my tastes when it's served in a glass bottle with a cork and paired with comfortable, thought-provoking, amiable conversations than when it comes in a plastic bottle with a twist-off lid. [Notable note: the wine in the plastic bottle was not actually mine. But, I tried some.]
................................................................................



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your posts. I look for them daily, they are so enjoyable.
    You didn't say anything about wine in a box in a plastic bag.:)
    Enjoy every minute of the experience.
    Also read the article in the school newspaper.

    ReplyDelete